Susan L. O'Shea, CPA, M.Ed.
Assistant dean of finance and administration
Phone: (804) 828-0402
M.Ed., Leadership Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University
B.B.A., Accounting & Finance, James Madison University
Susan O’Shea joined the School of Social Work in 2017. Prior to that Susan worked as the Director of Accounting & Financial Reporting for VCU School of the Arts, Qatar. Susan began her career in public accounting working for Arthur Andersen. After relocating to Richmond, she spent 12 years working at Philip Morris USA in various management and senior decision support roles. Susan’s professional career also includes non-profit management, valuation services and contract CFO work. She has held a Certified Public Accountant designation for over 25 years.
In her current role, Susan’s responsibilities include overseeing all fiscal, HR, procurement, IT and administrative operations for the school. She provides insight and analysis for all school activities to ensure compliance with federal, state, local, and university policies and procedures. Susan works closely with the dean, academic leadership and central administration leading the school’s annual budgeting, forecasting and administrative processes and policies. Susan’s diverse work background and extensive management experience bring to the school a breadth of administrative and technical expertise.
In her free time, Susan and her husband, Kevin, love traveling and spending time outdoors with family and friends. She is an animal lover and enjoys trying new adventures.
Notable awards, designations and appointments
- Friends of Barnabas Foundation, Finance Board
- Society for Human Resources Management member
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants member
- VCU Sponsored Projects Administration Certification, 2016
- National Association of College and University Business Officers, Emerging Business Officers Program, 2015
- Grace E. Harris Leadership Institute, Class of 2015
- Certified Valuation Analyst, December 2006
- Certified Public Accountant, May 1992
- Beta Alpha Psi, International Honor Society for Accounting, Finance and IS