Nicole L. O-Pries, LCSW
Associate professor in teaching
Phone: (804) 828-6760
M.S.W., Virginia Commonwealth University
B.A., State University of New York at Binghamton
A.A., State University of New York at Cobleskill
Nicole O-Pries is a licensed clinical social worker in Virginia with substantive experience in clinical work with people who have experienced trauma. O-Pries brings nearly 20 years of nonprofit experience, much of which has focused on developing effective trauma-focused services for youth and families. She is a certified practitioner in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Level 1 Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy.
O-Pries is currently an associate professor at Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of Social Work, where she teaches courses focused on trauma-informed and trauma-focused social work practice, clinical practice, and social justice. Her service work includes active membership in the Greater Richmond Trauma-Informed Community Network, as well as being a program advisory member of the Children’s Mental Health Network and advising local nonprofits regarding integration of Trauma-Informed Care principles.
Outside of her role at VCU, O-Pries maintains a small private telemental health practice for LGBTQ+ adults who experience traumatic stress and anxiety. She also provides consultations and training for human service professionals, advocates and educators about topics related to trauma-informed care, compassion fatigue, and telemental health practice.
Notable awards, honors and appointments
Teaching areas and interests
Current courses taught
- SLWK 704 Clinical Social Work PracticeI & SLWK705 Clinical Social Work Practice II
- SLWK603 Social Work & Social Justice
- SLWK 727 Trauma and Social Work Practice: Theory, Assessment, and Intervention
Areas of teaching/mentoring expertise
- Course Sequence Lead/Coordinator for SLWK 704 & 705
- Mentoring focus: trauma-informed practice; telemental health; clinical work with LGBTQ+ individuals.
Community trainings and/or workshops
- Foundations of Trauma-Informed Care
- Member of the Greater Richmond Trauma-Informed Community Network (TICN)
- Chair of the Trauma-Informed Workforce Development Committee
- Member of the Program Advisory Group of the Cameron K Gallagher Mental Health Resource Center