Certificates, certifications and dual degrees
Students can combine their M.S.W. degree program of study with other programs to earn special certificates, certifications or additional degrees.
The M.S.W. with certificate option is offered in combination with the Department of Gerontology, the Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs, and the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies.
- Combined M.S.W. and Certificate in Aging Studies* (Department of Gerontology)
- Combined M.S.W. and Certificate in Gender Violence Intervention (Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs)
- Combined M.S.W. and Certificate in Nonprofit Management* (Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs)
Students with a clinical area of specialization have the option to pursue coursework that meets the educational requirements for a School Social Work Certification, offered through the Virginia Department of Education*. The School Social Work Certification is available only as a fall/spring field placement.
*Only the school social work certification (tracks supporting fall/spring field placements); non-profit management certificate; and aging studies certificates are available to online students.
Dual-degree study combines the M.S.W. with law, divinity or public health degrees. Students must apply to and get into each program to participate in the dual-degree program. These are not available in an online format.
- Dual-degree M.S.W. and Juris Doctor (University of Richmond)
- Dual-degree M.S.W. and Master of Divinity (Virginia Union University)
- Dual-degree M.S.W. and Master of Public Health at VCU
VCU’s B.S.W. and M.S.W. programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education – the accrediting body for all schools of social work at both the baccalaureate and master’s levels.