Certificates, certifications and dual degrees

Students can combine their M.S.W. degree program of study with other programs to earn special certificates, certifications or additional degrees.

Certificate offerings

The M.S.W. with certificate option is offered in combination with the Department of Gerontology, the Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs, and the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies.


Students with a clinical area of specialization have the option to pursue coursework that meets the educational requirements for a School Social Work Certification, offered through the Virginia Department of Education*. The School Social Work Certification is available only as a fall/spring field placement.

*Only the school social work certification (tracks supporting fall/spring field placements); non-profit management certificate; and aging studies certificates are available to online students.

Dual degrees

Dual-degree study combines the M.S.W. with law, divinity or public health degrees. Students must apply to and get into each program to participate in the dual-degree program. These are not available in an online format.

VCU’s just kind of always felt like home, so there wasn’t really another option. My daughter is really the reason I decided to go back to school. I want her to be proud and impressed that her mom is actually doing something, not only to provide for her, but to make our community a better place.”

Van Vox (she/they), M.S.W. graduate with Certificate in Gender Violence Intervention

Van Vox with child


VCU’s B.S.W. and M.S.W. programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education – the accrediting body for all schools of social work at both the baccalaureate and master’s levels.

Financial aid

M.S.W. students can apply for support such as scholarships, assistantships and the Child Welfare Stipend Program through the school — in addition to aid accessible through VCU's Student Financial Services.

Have questions?

Prospective students interested in an online M.S.W. program option can contact onlinemsw@vcu.edu. For on-campus M.S.W. questions, please reach out to sswinfo@vcu.edu.